Stress affects us all uniquely, but there are some common ways it can show up in men. Elevated cortisol levels, the stress hormone, can throw off your endocrine responses, impacting so many functions, from sleep to libido. The adaptogen Ashwagandha acts as a buffer against the negative effects of cortisol. Its ability to counter the impacts of stress in the central nervous system can help bring the body back to center to support stamina, virility, and several other aspects of men’s health.
Below are some of the most important benefits of Ashwagandha root extract for men. But first, let’s talk about the adaptogenic herb itself.
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha supplements come from the root of a flowering shrub used in Ayurvedic healing for millennia. It’s been used for thousands of years as an invigorating, rejuvenating herbal support for male fertility, low libido, strength, and energy.
The mineral-dense root acts as a nervine to soothe the stressed nervous system so you can come back to center. One of the best known adaptogens, this plant powerhouse helps your body cope with and recover from the negative effects of heightened cortisol.
Ashwagandha acts as a nervine to soothe the stressed nervous system so you can come back to center.
10 Benefits of Ashwagandha Supplements for Men
Because Ashwagandha has been proven to help regular cortisol in the body — the root of so many imbalances in men’s health — it provides foundational support to alleviate symptoms across drive, strength, and mood.
Many studies have shown Ashwagandha’s ability to tackle the adverse effects of stress in the body. By rebalancing the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, or the system in your body that regulates stress, and by calming the fight-or-flight response in your sympathetic nervous system, adaptogens are able to help the body resist an onslaught of cortisol. In addition to reducing activity in your HPA axis, Ashwagandha also seems to regulate mediators of stress, like heat shock proteins.
In one double-blind, randomized study of 58 healthy adults, those who consumed Ashwagandha daily for 8 weeks had a significant decrease in stress symptoms and cortisol levels.
Ashwagandha has been proven to reduce irritability and improve mood. It also has the potential to reduce anxiety. Ashwagandha has been shown to have a calming anxiolytic effect comparable to the drug Lorazepam in three standard tests for anxiety. In one study of 60 individuals, those who consumed 240 milligrams of Ashwagandha daily for one month exhibited significantly reduced anxiety as measured using the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HAMA-A).
The sex hormone testosterone can affect a range of things from sex drive to sperm production to fat storage in men. But endorphins — which the body releases to mitigate pain during stress events — can block the release of hormones essential for making testosterone, our in-house Viagra.
Ashwagandha treatment in one study was associated with an 18% increase in DHEA-S, a hormone that contributes to the production of testosterone. Participants showed a 14.7% increase in testosterone compared to those who took the placebo.
Stress limits libido on a number of levels. Testosterone, for one thing, is integral to healthy sexual function. The rerouting of blood flow to more essential organs also makes it harder to power up erogenous zones.
A stressed body is one that values survival, not procreation, much less pleasure. Ashwagandha’s ability to counter the effects of stress and enhance testosterone can help keep us vital and restore drive. Did you know that there are other ways to increase libido naturally?
Muscle Mass & Strength
If you’re looking to build muscle, Ashwagandha has been shown to enhance physical exercise by increasing muscle mass, leading to gains in strength. In one double-blind study, a group of male subjects treated with Ashwagandha had significantly greater increase in muscle strength and size, and a greater reduction of muscle damage and body fat after resistance training compared to the placebo group.
Because of its stress-buffering capacities, Ashwagandha can help prevent stress-related weight gain. Since low testosterone can impact how fat is stored in men’s bodies, Ashwagandha’s ability to boost testosterone levels can also indirectly contribute to healthy weight management.
Ashwagandha’s benefits for increasing muscle mass could result in more efficient resting fat burn, another indirect path to weight loss. Ashwagandha has also been shown to improve oxygen use during exercise, which could lead to enhanced workouts and more calories burned.
Your cortisol levels naturally decrease before bed, but chronic stress can keep cortisol elevated at night, keeping you up and disrupting your sleep.
Ashwagandha is incredible at regulating the effects of cortisol to encourage deep sleep. Across multiple studies, participants who took Ashwagandha supplements daily not only felt less stress, but also reported significantly better quality of sleep compared to the control groups.
Participants who took Ashwagandha daily not only felt less stress, but also reported significantly better quality of sleep compared to the control groups.
Energy & Stamina
One of the sleep studies also looked at mental alertness in the mornings and found that this metric significantly improved after daily Ashwagandha consumption.
Having more energy during your day can keep you going at whatever it is you need to achieve. That, plus better oxygen use, could mean better stamina during exercise, and its ability to enhance focus can mean better stamina at work.
Memory & Focus
Ashwagandha is proven to support cognitive function and enhance focus. In clinical studies, significant improvements were shown in memory, focus, and information-processing speed.
Hair loss can happen for a number of reasons, but one of the major contributors is stress. Because Ashwagandha helps regulate cortisol, it can be especially supportive for stress-related shedding.
Another reason is that Ashwagandha has anti-inflammatory properties, so it could help with scalp irritation, dandruff, and itch. It also contains beneficial elements like antioxidants and amino acids, which could further strengthen the hair. Depending on the root cause of your hair concerns, an adaptogenic hair vitamin like SuperHair® might be able to help.
How to Add Ashwagandha to Your Supplement Routine
If you’re looking to harness the benefits of Ashwagandha, there are several ways to incorporate it into your daily routine. This Ashwagandha powder supplement is 15:1 full-spectrum root extract to help reduce stress and regulate cortisol levels, enhance focus and mental stamina, and reduce irritability and stress-related cravings. It pairs well with chocolate, coffee, maple, and baked goods — find recipes to use it in the Moon Juice Manual. For an extra boost to your pre- or post-workout protein, add it to smoothies and shakes.
You can also find the herb in capsule form in supplements SuperYou® for daily stress management and SuperHair® for healthier, thicker, stronger hair.
What Are the Potential Side Effects of Ashwagandha for Men?
Definitionally, adaptogens are plants that are safe to take, but it’s always good to make sure your Ashwagandha is a potent, unadulterated extract. Moon Juice’s organic, sustainable Ashwagandha powder is strategically sourced, concentrated, and dosed to be gentle and effective to your system. Hand-harvested in Madhya Pradesh, India, it’s a 15:1 concentrated extract that’s created through 100% water-based extraction without the use of chemical solvent and alcohol.
If chronic stress leaves your body limp, your mind restless, and your spirit fried, consider these Ashwagandha benefits for men. More studies on adaptogens continue to shed light on the potential of Ashwagandha to supercharge aspects of health like strength, sexuality, and virility. So if you’re not already taking it, consider this your sign to incorporate Ashwagandha into your holistic routine for wellness. PS: Ashwagandha is great for women too!
- Sage Journals, A Prospective, Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Safety and Efficacy of a High-Concentration Full-Spectrum Extract of Ashwagandha Root in Reducing Stress and Anxiety in Adults https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.4103/0253-7176.106022
- National Library of Medicine, Role of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) in the management of male infertility https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29277366/
- Taylor & Francis Online, Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1186/s12970-015-0104-9
- Sage Journals, A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Study Examining the Hormonal and Vitality Effects of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in Aging, Overweight Males https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1557988319835985
- Wiley Online Library, Effect of standardized root extract of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on well-being and sexual performance in adult males: A randomized controlled trial https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hsr2.741
- Hindawi, Clinical Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of the Root Extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in Oligospermic Males: A Pilot Study https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/571420/
- AYU Journal, Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal. Linn.) in the management of psychogenic erectile dysfunction https://www.ayujournal.org/article.asp?issn=0974-8520;year=2011;volume=32;issue=3;spage=322;epage=328;aulast=Mamidi
- Science Direct, Withania somnifera (Indian ginseng) in male infertility: An evidence-based systematic review and meta-analysis https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0944711317301721?via%3Dihub
- National Library of Medicine, Effects of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on Physical Performance: Systematic Review and Bayesian Meta-Analysis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8006238/
- National Library of Medicine, A systematic review of the clinical use of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) to ameliorate cognitive dysfunction https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31742775/
- National Library of Medicine, An Overview on Ashwagandha: A Rasayana (Rejuvenator) of Ayurveda https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252722/
- Natural Medicine Journal, Ashwagandha for Male Infertility https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252722/